https://www.strava.com/activities/453950782
https://www.strava.com/activities/453610294
So I haven't been back to Kennerdell since I went OTB about ten years ago and drove home with very sore ribs. Too bad: this place rules. Found out a few things, good and bad. People considered the northern section just as good as the southern section, but the northern trails have been ruined by logging. On the up side, I learned about the "jeep" trail that runs along the river then back up to the ridge, which sounds very cool. I also found out that Dennison Run is off limits to mt. bikes but for a very good reason: it's a viable trout stream that produces hatches. Don't want to screw with that!!
Windows Trail. One of the best short segments of any trail I've ever ridden.
A little tricky with frost and ice on the trail so I walked some of it.
It took a bit a wandering to find Windows. My memory was a little foggy since it's been such a long time ago, so of course I took the turn that leads to the downhill to the river. Leaf covered, but kick ass. Some water bars have been installed so it's one of the better trails in the system. And it just keeps going down, down, down!
Climbed back up Pipeline, but I was really looking for Blunder. Went searching for the overlook that I remembered, but couldn't find it. Kept following the Ridge Trail cause I was guessing it would lead me back to the parking lot (it did). Walked a little way down Goat Trail where I believe I bit it hard last time I was there. Supe was already in for about 8 miles so it was time to find the car. I guess you can ride from the town of Kennerdell and access a bunch of stuff on the south end.
The whole system has the makings of an all-day ride, but some of trails are very old-school. Less than two hours from home. I'm coming back next summer. Had a bit to eat at the infamous North Country Brewery in Slippery Rock afterward. Felt kinda like home since a long time ago Slippery Rock Creek was my go-to whitewater river, and I've ridden Moraine so many times. Very cool area.
Checked the weather and Morgantown was gonna be 60 degrees! I had actually planned to go there for both days but wasn't into the drive originally. Kennerdell fired me up, and it was only about an hour and a half down 79, so I decided to head south.
Next day at Copper's Rock:
Did a loop for Supe around the cross country ski trails to Scott Run. From Strava, I knew that some of the locals were riding in from the Mt. Pisgah Road area to the east, and I had always wondered where the trail intersected with Scott Run Trail. It didn't take much searching with the light snow on the ground: it was right across the creek! We hiked a bit of it, and my mind was spinning about the new possibilities for routes. Cooper's Rock is different every time I go there, and it keeps yielding up more areas to explore.
Supe apparently doesn't understand that water can be cold.
The new singletrack connector we found.
Just a small creek crossing to access the "new" stuff.
The sun broke out for a while. December 21 and the temp was 55 degrees The trails were as dry as I have ever seen them!!
Dropped off Supe and did a "Pops Loop."
I love this rock, but I never seem to be able to capture its beauty.
That's the bike near center of the pic on a boulder looking down into Clay Run. I was a bit apprehensive about spooking up a bear.
That's the bottom side of the boulder. Fun contrast with the tree fungus.
Had a ripping good time listening to old Black Sabbath and flying down Mt. Chateau.
Cooper's Rock rules.
















No comments:
Post a Comment