Trails I've Ridden


What My Wife Calls My Bragging Wall:

Ohio: CVNP Trails, Camp Tuscazoar, 2 Ton Falls, Medina Reagan, Royalview, Bedford, West Branch, Mohican, **Vulture’s Knob, Lake Hope, Alum Creek, Dillon, The Wilds, AEP Lands, Wayne National Forest/Marietta, Findley

Michigan Island Lake, Highland, Proud Lake, Hickory Glen, Novi Tree Farm, Addison Oaks, Merrill, Luton, Pontiac Lake, ***Potowatomi, Brighton, Yankee Springs, Fort Custer, ***Big M, North Country Trail segments Dilling to Marilla, Timber Creek/Freesoil, Baxter Bridge, Kipp Road, *Copper Harbor, Boyne Highlands, High Country Pathway, Bass River, Stoney Creek, Hungerford, Hines Trails, Bruno's Run, Marquette North and South, Harlow Lake

Florida Hannah State Park, Jacksonville

West Virginia ****Cooper’s Rock, **Davis, Slatyfork, Watters Smith, Two track to Wonder Falls/Big Sandy River Gorge, Big Bear, Mountwood, Kanawha, North Bend, Spruce Knob, Valley Falls, ***North Fork Mountain, Kennison Mountain**

Pennsylvania Moraine, Brady’s Run, Laurel Mountain, Tomlinson Run, Quebec Run, *Apollo/Roaring Run, Northpark, Bavington, Allegrippis, Blue Knob, 2 Mile Run, Tussey Mountain, Rothrock/Cooper's Gap, Kennerdell

Virginia **Carvin’s Cove, Massanutten, Elizabeth Furnace/Signal Knob Harrisonburg/Reddish Knob

New York Ellicottville

Maryland ***Gambrill/Frederick Watershed

North Carolina Dupont, Pisgah: Turkey Pen, ***Bennet Gap, ***Daniels Ridge, Bracken, Black Mountain, Long Branch. ***Kitsuma, Rocky Knob, *Dark Mountain, Warrior Creek

Arizona Sedona: Highline, Slim Shady

California *Sequel Demo

South Dakota *Storm Mountain, Tinton Trail

Utah: St. George/Hurricane: Zen, Barrel Roll/Suicidal tendencies, Gooseberry, Guacamole, JEM

**Brown County Indiana

* My favorites

My Strava Feed


Classic 2Ton30Inch Pics


Artemis and the Pack

Thursday, March 21, 2013

SOMETIMES, YOU RISE ABOVE IT


So, after some bungling and bagging out, I found myself on the day of the show with four tickets to see, as Rolling Stone magazine describes him, one of the greatest living American singer/song writers.
Showtime is 9:30.
I post a desperate message on facebook offering up the tix for free, but no one replies.
The evening happens to be the best day all week to get in a ride.
The dog is going apeshit for some exercise.
My knee kills after running three miles the previous night.
(I'm thinking I really screwed it up somehow; iced it and everything).

What the fock am I gonna do?

A soul search of my priorities yields:

a) Todd Snider Rules.
b) I can get in a sweet road ride if I don't leave until 8:00 or so.
c) The dog will be happy with about 20 minutes of fetch.
d) However, I'll feel like a loser going to a concert by myself
e) Fug it
f) I'm going
g) Maybe I can scalp the tix for beer money
h) Sweet road ride ensues with no knee pain, but a touch of hypothermia that takes about 20 minutes in the shower to shake off.


My lovely Artemis and I had seen Snider at the legendary Ark in Ann Arbor, and kinda got hooked. I had first heard of him from a recording Patty Griffin made in which she said she "loves, loves, loves Todd Snider." (I respect that because I think Patty Griffin is a hellava song writer) Turns out that a lot of people love Todd Snider (John Prine, Kris Kristofferson, Jimmy Buffet, the dude from Big and Rich, etc.), and he's one of those underground performers who has never (thank God) achieved widespread commercial success and ruination, probably because of his politics, stance on religion, and occasional references to drugs, and because he refuses to sell out, except for this, which is still cool.

He's reknown for his songwriting, storytelling, and humor. So I'm a little disappointed when he starts off the show with one of his trademark songs and a monologue from his live album that he's probably repeated thousands of times. But then the show gets good, really good. And he does some stuff I'd never heard before, as well as some "classic" stuff that just plain kicks ass. Funny and profound as hell. 





So I ate the three tickets, and calmed my soul by realizing that I had contributed to the cause, kinda like pledging to NPR. People like Snider deserve a hell of a lot more than 20 bucks per ticket for a show, at least as far as I'm concerned. 


THE NEXT DAY

So I took the dog on a walk

It was one of those nights 

I had to move slowly

And the snow flakes made my nose itch.

And I realized 

That as much as I have hated the cold over the last few weeks

There will come a time 

(in about nine months or so)

that I will be excited 

For a snowfall like this:












By the way:

As a surveyor of this particular waterfall

In the middle of the woods

Away from the sound of the interstate

I have noticed

That the course of the water over this rock ledge has changed slightly

It is broader, and now takes two paths


I will keep you updated.


POSTSCRIPT
A very cool thing happened to me as a I was heading back up the two track toward the car. A man and his dog approached me and Supe. Now, I have walked that area of Hinckley many, many times and have rarely seen a soul. This guy had a female german shepherd, and she and Supe instantly hit if off and started playing. We talked for a second about dogs, and the fact that Supe has a brother german shepherd named Zoltan (Rogue, too, in spirit), then Supe and I headed for the car. The guy had parked his car near mine, and the dealer sticker on the back caught my eye.
Of all places, it was from Brighton, Michigan - where my lovely Artemis lives, my second home.
I thought that was a strange, strange coincidence.










No comments:

Post a Comment