Trails I've Ridden
Mountain Bike Trails I've Ridden:
Ohio: The Biggest Little Mountain Bike Trail (Camp Tuscazoar)Medina Reagan, Royalview, Bedford, West Branch, Mohican, *Vulture’s Knob, Lake Hope, the shit in Columbus, Dillon, The Wilds, AEP Lands, Wayne National Forest/Marietta, Findley Michigan Island Lake, Highland, Proud Lake, Hickory Glen, Novi Tree Farm, Addison Oaks, Pontiac Lake, ***Potowatomi, Brighton, Yankee Springs, Fort Custer, **Big M, North Country Trail segments, *Copper Harbor, Boyne Highlands, High Country Pathway, Bass River, Stoney Creek, Hungerford West Virginia **Cooper’s Rock, **Davis, Slatyfork, Watters Smith, Big Bear, Mountwood, Kanawha, North Bend, Spruce Knob Pennsylvania Moraine, Brady’s Run, Laurel Mountain, Tomlinson Run, Quebec Run, *Apollo/Roaring Run, Northpark, Bavington, Allegrippis, Blue Knob, Rothrock/Cooper's Gap Virginia **Carvin’s Cove, Massanutten, Harrisonburg/Reddish Knob New York Ellicottville Maryland *Gambrill/Frederick Watershed North Carolina Dupont, Pisgah, Rocky Knob, *Dark Mountain, that trail with all the berms in Wilksboro Arizona Sedona California *Sequel Demo South Dakota *Storm Mountain, Tinton Trail
* My favorites
Monday, January 12, 2015
Took the dog and My Hog out for some Skoggin'. You know...skiing and Hogging.
Supe prefers the Hog because she likes to bark at it.
I prefer to ski in such conditions.
The known unknown: how would the Hog do in real snow?
My Hog wallowed.
But I knew this beforehand.
My Hog is great in marginal conditions, on frozen trails, and in 1 to 2 inches of snow.
But, as I confirmed tonight, that's about its limit.
I'm reading a book about Assholes. It's really funny and philosophical, but it makes me wonder just how big of an asshole I am.
My lovely wife and I saw the movie Wild the other night. Pretty good stuff. Ol' Reese Witherspoon pulled it off. Actually, she really did a couple of times, but that only added to what was already a good performance. Kind of a Hollywood ode to longhaul backpacking, as weird as that sounds.
I'm still pretty much hooked on The War on Drugs, especially "Under the Pressure", "Red Eyes", "Ocean In between","Baby Missiles" and "I Was There."
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Well, that just too bad cause I'm having a blast with this thing!
Christmas vacation was a blessed one for me. I rode seven different Michigan trail systems in a little over a week:
Betsie River Pathway
Unfortunately, I had to call in the extraction team (my lovely wife Karen) after things started getting, as Camper Van Beethoven would say, a little bit too weird. See, it was only about 15 degrees out, and the only thing I brought to drink was a half pint of Jameson, and breakfast was a bit scanty, and I was starting to freeze my ass off trying to pick my way back to the cabin on snow mobile trails and gravel roads. I was met with a Rolling Rock and a smile - what more could a guy ask for????
We stayed near Crystal Mountain and spent New Years with friends. A couple of the guys had drift boated the Big Manistee the previous day and apparently had a nice day on the river.
5) The new ride. Hmm...what will be next? Maybe one of these? Or maybe one of these?
4) My Hog
3) Mountain biking road trip with Brandon to Pisgah, Virginia, and WV
2) Our vacation to South Dakota. I've been to some cool places in the last few years, but no place has impacted more than the Black Hills.
1) Grandma Barb surviving her duty dance with death: stroke, brain aneurysm and a month-long induced coma (including being strapped down to a bed) to deal with respiratory complications. I said it before and I'll say it again: she's a stud.
To comment on my blog, email email@example.com. I'll post your comments and my responses.
Saturday, December 20, 2014
Monday, December 15, 2014
Here's my thoughts on my new fatbike:
- No way I'm spending $2000 on a fatbike
- Or even $1000 on a bike I'm not going to ride a whole lot
- I need a way to keep my dog in shape
- And now I can ride trails with her in the winter
- I'm not going to ride very far when it's really cold out
- So there's no need for gears
- A single speed will make me work my ass off
- Which is exactly what I need to stay in shape this winter
- I've got more miles on my bikesdirect cross bike than any bike I own: she's been a trooper
- And she only cost $500
- I can ride in sketchy conditions and not feel guilty
- All the cool kids in Michigan have one
- It should arrive in time for our New Year's trip up north
- I can put this thing on my hitch rack and not worry about getting derailleurs all funked up
- The price fit my tightwad budget: $400 for this beauty!
- Anybody want to buy a pair of cross country skis?